- "Guardian angel that watches over the house"
It's said that if a zashiki-warashi is present, the household will have plenty of money and live in prosperity.
- Habitat: The back rooms of grand old houses.
- May take the form of either a girl or a boy.
- Age: From three to around ten years old.
- Dress: White or blue kimono.
- Takes pleasure in scaring people in the middle of the night and causing mischief. Loves to be in places where children congregate.
- The back room, the innermost room of a house, is a special room reserved for honored guests, wedding ceremonies, and the like.